Heir Apparent lays Foundation Stone for LDPE-3


Doha, Qatar – 14 December 2009: H.H. Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, the Heir Apparent has laid the Foundation Stone for Qatar Petrochemical Company’s new LDPE-3 plant. An official ceremony was held on this occasion in Mesaieed Industrial City’s (MIC) Celebration Hall.

The event was attended by ministers, ambassadors, CEOs and other high ranking dignitaries, as well as overseas guests including top level management of QAPCO’s shareholders, Total Petrochemicals of France.

In a press conference, HE Abdullah Bin Hamad Al-Attiyah, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Energy and Industry, declared that the State of Qatar, under the leadership and directives of His Highness, the Emir, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, has set a wise strategy to achieve the optimal utilization of our country’s natural resources of oil and gas, through implementing mega industrial projects, by Qatar Petroleum(QP) and its subsidiaries.

“Launching the LDPE-3 new plant today is, no doubt, a value-added expansion project, which marks another milestone in QAPCO’s history of achievements. Such projects have greatly enhanced the economic position of Qatar,” he added.

Dr. Mohd Yousef Al-Mulla, GM of QAPCO pointed out that the strong global demand for QAPCO’s products can be attributed to its high quality of our products and excellent customer services it provides.

“The new plant of LDPE 3 would help us keep pace with rising global demand for our resins, while taking advantage of the surplus ethylene feedstock in the country.”, he added.
QAPCO’s two existing LDPE production lines together put out about 400 KMTA. The third LDPE line is anticipated to add about 300 KMTA to its total LDPE capacity to reach up to 700 KMTA.

The new LDPE-3 plant is to be established at QAPCO’s existing operational facilities in Mesaieed Industrial City (MIC), and is forecasted to be completed by end of 2011. QAPCO’s total LDPE production capacity is anticipated then to increase up to 650 KTPA.

The EPC contract for the project has been awarded to German company Uhde, who won an international tender for the project. Uhde is part of the ThyssenKrupp Group, and specializes in the construction of chemical and other industrial plants.

Qatar Petrochemical Co. (QAPCO), one of the leading Ethylene and polyethylene producers in the Middle East, was established in 1974 as a joint multinational venture to utilize the associated and non-associated Ethane gas from petroleum production in line with the industrialization plan of the State of Qatar.

QAPCO commenced commercial production in 1981 and soon became well established in the global market for its commitment to quality and reliability. QAPCO is jointly owned by Qatar Industries (IQ) with 80% share and TOTAL PETROCHEMICALS of France with 20% share. TOTAL is a well-reputed international corporation. The IQ is controlled & owned by Qatar Petroleum (QP) with 70% share in it, the remaining 30% shares are being held by the public.

QAPCO is proud that its products reach to more than 4,500 customers in 85 countries through its extensive marketing and agent network in strategic markets of Middle East, Europe, Asia, and Far East. QAPCO markets its LDPE under its well- known brand ‘Lotrene’, which is recognized and respected by customers around the world.

Comments are closed.