Products specification of the plant is:
- Caustic Soda – produced as 50% wt solution. Membrane grade caustic soda (< 100 ppm wt. NaCl)
- EDC – High purity (99.9% wt., < 300 ppm wt. Low boils, <600ppm wt. High boils, <150 ppm wt. water)
- VCM – High purity (99.98% wt. < 10 ppm wt. 1-3-butadiene)
- Hydrochloric Acid solution – produced as 32% wt solution (< 5 ppm wt. Chlorine, < 10 ppm wt. Iron)
120MW electrical power from turbines fed with fuel gas is also produced at the plant. A major part of this electricity is used to electrolyse salt to produce Caustic, Chlorine & Hydrogen. Chlorine is reacted with Ethylene (direct chlorination) to make Ethylene Dichloride (EDC).
EDC is cracked down to Vinyl Chloride Monomer (the monomer to Poly Vinyl Chloride, PVC) and Hydrochloric Acid. Hydrochloric Acid reacts with Ethylene and Oxygen to produce more EDC (Oxychlorination).
Major clients for the company
- PVC manufacturers
- Alumina industry
- Chemical industry
- Pulp and paper manufacturer
- Detergent manufacturers
Products are marketed in Australia, Asia and Indian sub-continent with deliveries made by chemical tankers and gas carriers ranging from 3,000 MT to 55,000 MT.
Caustic Soda and Hydrochloric Acid are delivered to the local market by 20 MT trucks.
On Site storage capacities are:
- 80,000 MT 50% Caustic Soda
- 15,000 MT EDC
- 20,000 MT VCM
- 400 MT 32% Hydrochloric Acid solution